Sunday 30 December 2012

Y is for Yonder-realm

I remained frozen, hovering above the glowing disc with its mysterious inscription: Xicalcoa. I wondered if it was an Incan or Mayan word. The moment I puzzled over it the word changed to a sentence: eXecutioner In Chief And Last Court Of Appeal. The words pulsed for a moment before changing to the single word: yes. I had just that moment wondered if that was the name of ‘Death’. It seemed that the words were not only answering me but that they were very sensitively tuned to my thoughts - the vaguest flicker of an idea caused a response. So, Death was already in my head and, worst, there seemed to be no corner of my thoughts which Death couldn’t reach. I was more bonded with another being than ever before but I was more alone too.
I had to think of a way out but as soon as I did Death would know what I was thinking. It was like playing poker with the cards facing out. I needed time to figure out how to change the situation. I needed time and space, but as I had Death in my head space wasn’t something I could count on. Time, however, I could get.
Once again I concentrated on the creek with the leaves in it. Once again I sent all of my thoughts downstream.   If I couldn’t beat Death, the least I could do is give it no more ammunition. It was much more difficult this time than it had been; my mind was so crowded with questions that it took a long time to get them to leave. Then, once they had left, many of them returned and had to be sent away again. There was one question, however, that just refused to be banished. I couldn’t keep it at bay: ‘Are you Wisp?’ Below me the answer lit up but I was so scared of the response that I didn’t look for a moment, preferring one last second of innocence. Then I did look down and when I did the sorrow I felt seemed to initiate an avalanche from above. Amongst the rocks tumbling down the tube from which I had entered I could see the glowing truth: I am the one you call Wisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment