Thursday 6 December 2012

G is for Golden Ratio

I don’t know who you are except that you are the person who is reading this. But a part of me feels like I know you, or that you know enough about me now to know me. I’m not sure if this knowledge can be sent only one way. It makes sense that when you take on information from me that I should get at least some residual part of you back. Even if that doesn’t make sense to you, I feel it. Every time you read this I feel something coming back from you. That’s part of the reason why I am still telling you this. The other part is that I have something to share with you and I think it’s time you knew it.
You must have realised by now that I can’t speak. I do, however, have the memory of language. I’m writing these events as best I can from memory because it wasn’t until much later than this that I developed the ability to write. Sometimes it’s the things you can do effortlessly in your other life that take the longest in this one. Enough about me, though. I want to tell you something I’ve learned.
If you’ve studied maths then you know the golden ratio. If you’ve ever opened your eyes then I’m sure you’ve seen it, whether you are aware of it or not. It’s the basis of everything; the Fibonacci sequence (remember when everyone was reading Dan Brown), the shell of a snail, the tines of a pinecone. They all conform to it. That’s what troubles me.
You see, it’s easy for the living to forget that they are, in fact, living. Occasionally you’ll be aware of your pulse, your heartbeat. Rare occasions when the sunset is too perfect, or those diamonds in the night sky make you feel small. That’s when you notice. I am not living, and it’s a condition that, as it is new to me, I’m very aware of. Now that I am not living I can look on the living as an outsider, something that at first stung me in a place where I imagine I would have eyes. I am gaining the ability to accept my condition, though, and as I do I notice things.
Just as the golden ratio is present throughout nature so it is present throughout people, as people are from nature. Just as the golden ratio provides that things start small and get bigger so do humans. You don’t merely grow, though, you expand. The race expands. What I need to share with you is a question that bothers me: what happens when the human race expands beyond the planet’s capacity? From a speck of dust to a sandstorm, we are the golden ratio.

No comments:

Post a Comment