Friday 14 December 2012

N is for Never-roam

I led the way back toward the stairs to the mystery basement; the Keeping Room. I expected to feel the rush of adrenaline and a slight wave of nausea which had always accompanied fear in my living body. It was strange having the feeling of fear without the physical sensation — I thought that it seemed like I had uncovered a cheat code in life. A cheat code that let me still recognise emotion but never feel that I have to obey it. I felt, in that moment, invincible.
We hovered over the entrance to the basement. From there I could see the dimensions of the room, taking up about a sixth of the size of the house. I floated across to the area beyond that room. I looked over at Wisp.
‘I’m going to try to enter the room beyond the one which I went to before. If I’m not back in five minutes come in for me.’
‘Will you be safe?’
‘I don’t know, but I get the feeling that I activated a bad section of the basement. I hope that not all of them are bad.’
‘Okay. I’m watching the clock on the wall. Go!’
I plunged beneath the kitchen floor and into a room the same size as the first Keeping Room. Once again the wind swept me up and held me powerless, although now I was feeling happiness. No, not happiness, more like joy, contentment and bliss all in one. It was as though everything was right with the world. I hovered within this air, floating as though on a calm ocean. It was beautiful but I had to go. I didn’t want to worry Wisp after the day we’d already had.
When I got up to the kitchen Wisp was waiting, one eye on the clock.
‘Can you see Heath?’ I asked her.
‘Yes, he’s come over all calm and smiling. You did it!’
A crash came from the living room. This time it was Heath falling onto the floor, racking with sobs despite the presence of his friends.
‘It didn’t work!’ I yelled.
‘It did work, but only while you were down there.’ Wisp replied.
‘I have only one option, then.’
‘You can’t do that.’
‘I have to. I will stay here.’
‘What about you? What about if someone else needs help?’
‘I got him into this and I’ll get him out.’
‘There must be another way. I have heard of a group, the Never-roam. We have to find them.’

No comments:

Post a Comment