Friday 28 December 2012

X is for Xicalcoa

The very moment that I wondered why Wisp was searching my mind was the same in which Wisp knew I was aware of the fact. What followed was an awkward minute where Wisp froze inside my thoughts while I puzzled over what to do. The kicker was that anything I thought of no longer belonged exclusively to me and I had a feeling that I shouldn’t trust Wisp as I had before.
In my previous life I had worked in a high stress environment and I had learned to clear my head. It was a necessity if I wanted to get any sleep as I had long had the habit of keeping my work in mind long after my shift was over. I now began that process. I imagined a stream, clear with ribbons of white, rushing over rocks of deep earth tones. A fallen tree bridged the stream and I sat on it as my human form. My legs kicked the air just above the water and I felt the dappled sunlight and shade on my skin. Beneath me a golden autumn leaf traveled along the stream. When it came out from under the log I tossed a word onto it. The word ‘Wisp’ floated away down the creek on the leaf. I repeated this, throwing all of my thoughts downstream until none remained. Some had to be thrown numerous times but all made it to the end. As usual I was left with just an image of myself sitting on the log over the creek. I felt calm and peaceful as I heard imagined birdsong and the rustle of the leaves in the wind.
The quiet was suddenly broken by a sharp crack, a single clap of sound which reverberated off the surrounding trees and followed me as the log on which I sat broke and I was dropped down, not onto the creek-bed, but into a dark-deep chasm which had split the earth below.
Before I hit the bottom of the fissure I was arrested in mid air. I could faintly make out the crags of rocks which lined the tear down which I had fallen. At the bottom, about ten metres from where I stopped, there was an arena like the ancient greek amphitheatres with benches of rock stretching ever higher around a central, oval disc. On that disc was a single word etched in light: Xicalcoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment