Saturday 31 December 2011

20 Steps Forward and 12 Steps Back

2 words forward


Visions in the New Year


There's something beautiful about a new year - it brings a finality to anything you didn't want to continue from the previous year and gives you permission to dream big about the things you want to accomplish. This year has given me the impetus to re-write my most recent novel which was lost when my laptop died and this project has lead me to consider what influences me in my writing. Undoubtedly the story I will write now will be different to the story I wrote in November because I'm reading, seeing and experiencing different things. In the past I've worked under a print by Juan Muñoz called 'Raincoat Drawing' (pictured above). I've always liked the fact that it is like a blank page with small clues on it. When I look at it I see the start of a situation, one which it is left to me to create. Today I have found a lovely little artist called Edward Gorey (picture below), a man who invented Tim Burton's style before Tim Burton did. I'm sure both of these artists can live in harmony on my desk, but I didn't know Edward Gorey before so I'm equally sure that he will affect my re-write in his own little way.
 
 1 Word Back


There is no time for editing on New Years Day - my addled brain will likely make a mess of it but watch this space as no doubt I'll be as cantankerous and tetchy in 2012.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment